Thursday 25 October 2007

no hard shoulder, just hard luck

The latest government scheme to ease congestion, is to allow use of the hard shoulders. And apparently it works.

Well, of course it works. I could have told you that if you introduce an extra lane and distribute traffic then you will ease congestion. OK, I know it's not that easy, but you get my point.

But, surely this could impact on the intended use of the lane? What about emergency vehicles or cars that break down? Apparently it's all fine, but it just hasn't had a major accident to 'test' it. Oh great, so lets hope it continues to be 'untested'.

But, what if I break down and need to pull over? What if my tyre blows and I need to stop as soon and as safely as I can?

"There are emergency refuges approximately every 500 metres along this section of motorway and that's where people can park safely if they break down."

Well, that's OK then. I'll make sure my car only breaks down when I'm within touching distance of a breakdown zone!

No comments: