Monday 29 October 2007

Scottish MP's

This seems to be in the news again, that the Scottish MP's get to vote on English issues, but English MP's can't vote on anything about Scotland.

It's a ridiculous situation and one that must be sorted. Of course, I'm not suggesting for one minute that a Scotsman would try to upset the English by purposely voting against something in some sort of spite, but I don't understand the need for them to vote on our issues.

One thing I heard on the radio, which I don't know is true or not, but they said that because we have a Scottish prime minister, that if the Scots couldn't vote on English matters then our Scottish PM wouldn't be able to run the country. Now, that's just ridiculous. Basically he has two jobs, he's an MP (for Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath I think) and he's also the PM.

If the law changed so that Scottish MP's couldn't vote on English matters then fine Gordon Brown MP can't vote on English matters, but Gordon Brown PM can run the country like any other PM has in the past. I assume this is what happened with Mr Blair when it came to voting on Scottish issues, as he was an English MP?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this situation sort of sums up the UK government. Too much red tape and not enough brains.

No comments: